Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The Winds of Change

     The Festival of "Nuestro Señor de Esquipulas" was a very active and fun time here at the monastery but it also signaled some big changes for the town of Esquipulas, and especially me and my work.  these changes were so profound and sweeping that everything after this week will henceforth (in this blog at least, but I'm trying to get it to catch on) be known as the Common Guatemalan Era. 
     The last few months I have been here, I have picked up work at the library, the City of Joy, the Library, and a few odd projects on the side for anyone who needs an English translator or someone to run to the Capital.  I picked up all of these jobs because I felt I was expected to do something, but mostly just to keep the boredom at bay and make myself feel useful.  I feel I should mention that when I say that I was expected to do something I use that term lightly:  As I've said before, that "something" that I was expected to do was go to prayers twice a day and maybe work.  If I felt like it.  However, the Monday after the festival was the first day of high school and grade school classes after the "summer" break, that means that I suddenly have a lot of work, work which has moved my other projects to the backburner.  My morning work has moved from working in the fields with Leonidas to full time Library duty with the increased number of students.  The change in the library is truly incredible.    Apparently the library I work at is the only complete one in Esquipulas due to the "government's refusal to put money into the East Side of the country," which means that students from all 5 of the high schools in town and both of the primary schools all come to our library, as well as anyone who needs documents photocopied.  That means the library has been almost continuously packed full for the last 2 weeks, forcing me to take on a more or less full time morning job there.  I even have a uniform!  It is nice to know that I am helping provide such a necessary service to the people of Esquipulas.  It is amazing to me that in a country with the second worst literacy rate in the Western Hemisphere libraries are so undervalued that there the nearest public one is an hour away (then again, that's where the nearest hospital is too...).  I also really enjoy the work there, even though it is exhausting, it is a wonderful way to practice my spanish and meet new people.  I've noticed that since the dawn of the CBE and the student rush at the library, every time I leave the basilica 3 or 4 people wave to me or call out my name or start conversations with me.  It's kind of fun being the only gringo in town!
     While the library keeps me busy in the morning, I am assisting with English classes at Colegio San Benito in the afternoons.  That has been a lot of fun and, while I don't get to practice Spanish as much, I'm still meeting a lot of new people and at least once a day I learn something about the English language that I didn't know.  Oh, and I have a uniform for the Colegio San Benito too.  I guess I'm kind of a big deal. 
    If I time it right I can usually swing by the library after classes right after they've finished cleaning, so I have gotten into the habit of spending what little free time I have everyday hanging out with my friends from the library.
     I finish off most days with my two English classes.  Sadly these were not immune to the change that was sweeping through my life here.  The first Wednesday of the CBE saw 15 new students drop into my comfortable class of 7-8, nearly tripling the size.

 Standing room only

     While I'm glad that more people have a desire to learn English and are taking advantage of my classes, I didn't plan on this, and it has really slowed down the class, much to the chagrin of my old students.  If I could do it all over again I would set up two or three classes with a start and end date throughout the year, allowing students to join without slowing the class down, but hindsight is 20/20 and we are moving on.  Plus, this next session is the Gerund, which is really easy so it is a nice time to catch up. 

     Now, I can hear you saying "Adam, all of that sounds like a lot of work, are you keeping up with your rest?"  Well, thank you for asking. As a matter of fact BOOOM I've been a little BAANG behind on sleep due to the POWWW fact that my usual half TING TING TIN hour nap after lunch has been CRASSSSHHHH taken over by another change moving through the monastery.  With the new CBE, the monks have decided that it is time to fix all of the cracks in the stucco walls.  That means workers pounding with hammers and chisels all day long right outside of my room.

I mean right outside my room.  That is my window right next to the man with the chisel.

The construction has more or less rendered my room unlivable from 8:00 am until 4:30 pm everyday.  It has been a little bit of a bummer, and has left me somewhat like a zombie wandering around the monastery in those first wee hours of the afternoon.  I have rescheduled my class schedule to allow for soccer every Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday, which has been a big help.  It's amazing how exercise, as opposed to making me more tired, gives me so much energy. 
     There is one last change here that I'd like to tell you about.  The Basilica has recently hired a new chef.  He comes from the Belizean Navy, where he picked up some truly incredible skills (almost superpowers as far as I can tell):  Cooking without black beans!  He only uses his strange powers occasionally so as to not frighten the monks with his bold and dangerous style, but his contributions to the monastery have reduced our bean consumption from 2-3 times every day (leaning more towards the 3) to 2-3 times a day (leaning more towards the 2).  That being said, tortillas are still a staple that is not to be challenged, surviving even when this revolutionary new chef decides to serve pizza.  I have really enjoyed the slightly changed diet, and my digestive tract has appreciated a lower quantity of beans however, this changing diet has turned out to be a bit of a double edged sword.  While he has let beans go to the wayside on various occasions, he has a certain affinity for liver.  Like, a twice a week affinity.  I hate liver.  Almost as much as I hate the Packers.
     By the way, I'll probably cry if they win the Superbowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment