Friday, December 24, 2010

I want to wish you a merry christmas from the bottom of my heart.

Feliz Navidad!
     Although the weather is indicating otherwise, the Christmas season has once again snuck up on me, and by the time I even realize it's December, we're getting ready to celebrate midnight mass and place the baby Jesus in the manger.  This is my first Christmas away from the frozen tundra of Minnesota, and I have to admit that I do miss all my family and friends very much.  That being said, with the Vikings' season going the way it is and Minnesota weather so bad it is making international headlines, I can't help but wonder if this is a good Christmas to miss.

 No, literally.  This is the front page of the Guatemalan national newspaper.

 That reads "snowfall hits the United States"
"Hundreds of drivers were trapped in their cars by the snow in Minneapols, Minnesota.  In the Northeastern (sic) United States"

     Even though I'm admittedly not the biggest fan of winter, I have found it nearly impossible to get into the Christmas spirit without frigid weather and snow all around (and especially without the horribly dangerous Christmas tradition of tobogganing across Highway 63).  True, Guatemalans definitely get in the Christmas spirit, and also true, many Christmas songs translate well into Spanish (who wouldn't want to listen to "Rudolf el Reno" or "Frosty el Hombre de Nieve"?), but I just haven't been much in the Christmas spirit, which I think is a good thing as it has lessened the homesickness around this time of season.  That being said, I'm in good health, and good spirits.  People here are especially happy around the holidays, and the weather has been around 60 degrees during the day, so all in all I can't complain, even if I wanted to. 
     In the spirit of the holidays I'll keep this blog short on words and long on pictures.  Here are some pictures of Esquipulas around the holiday time for your ocular entertainment.


     This is the sandlot where they often have soccer games.  It got all decorated for the holiday season.  On the 23rd the Alcalde (mayor) of Esquipulas put on a big show here.  They blocked off both main streets and had a big stage with music, DJs, dancing, and fireworks.  One of the highlights of the evening was the "lluvia de tamales" which basically meant a bunch of people threw prepackaged tamales into the crowd.  After enjoying this spectacle I returned to the monastery at 8:58 to find that the guards had already left (2 minutes early!) and I was locked out of the monastery.  After wandering around for about 10 minutes I found a guard who didn't have keys, but had the phone number of someone who had the phone number of someone who could bring the keys.  30 minutes later I was able to get back to my room.

     Nacimientos, Nativity scenes, are a pretty big deal here.  This particular one is right when you walk in the living area of the monastery.  I got to help with it a little!  The only downside is that Danilo, the guy who made it, has some strange obsession with the christmas lights that beep out holiday tunes.  I've had "we wish you a merry christmas" in my head for the pas week.

 This one is right outside of the dining hall.  In the main gathering area of the monastery.
 This is the public nativity scene.  The Mary and Joseph are about 3/4 human size.

 It's pretty impressive.  It even has a real water river running through it!  Apparently they pull thousands of quetzales out at the end of every season.

 This is one of the three nativity scenes at a Franciscan monastery I visited.  It's behind bars, but the figures are all about 3/4 life size, and surprisingly detailed.  Apparently they were brought over from Italy.
 Nacimiento in the style of Mayan art.

     The following pictures are all of one of the most impressive nativity scenes I have ever seen.  It was about 10 feet wide and 5 feet deep and absolutely full with figures.  The detail was really amazing.

 Mary and Joseph with all the animals and angels.
 Get it?  "no hay" posada (no room at the inn)... haha, Franciscan humor.
 The magi making their way over one of the mountains chalk full of other figurines.

 Depiction of Antigua Guatemala before the volcano in the background destroyed it.
 Just for an idea of the size of this thing!

     All in all this has been an interesting Christmas season for me.  Although it is far from what I'm used to, I have really enjoyed myself and have learned a lot of new things and experienced a very different culture.  Tonight begins the monastic celebrations of Christmas, starting at 6:30 pm and going straight until 11 tonight, then continuing right on through to tomorrow, which I'm sure will be an adventure!

I hope all of you have enjoyed this Christmas, and I wish you the Merriest of Christmases, Happiest of Hanukkahs, Sauciest of Saturnalias, Fanciest of Festivuses (okay, that one already passed), and the Wackiest of Winter Solstices.  I hope you are with family and friends, or if you are not so lucky, that you are at least like me, and in a great place with great friends.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Lambchop, your Dad sent me a link to your blog today so I sat with my feet up for over an hour reading it from the first entry through the last. I love your writing style, humor, honesty, and attitude. You are a brave and caring man to try such a task as living there for a year. May you be richly blessed in this new year.

    We (the Hoffman's) spent New Year's eve with your family, Paul D, Peg, Beth, and her niece, all eating a great meal at Buca's. Sorry, no black beans or tortillas, but we did talk about you and missed your company. I look forward to reading more of your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, that above comment was from Deb, NOT John, though I am sure he would agree with my comments, the term "Lambchop" comes affectionately from me, not him! Take care. Deb

    ReplyDelete